Criminals are out to get your information. They can use your personal data to:
- Access your bank, brokerage, and other money accounts
- Open lines of credit in your name, run up large balances on those accounts, and leave you holding the bag
- Tap into the equity that you have in your home
- Obtain medical or other services using your name
- file fraudulent tax returns in your name (and keep the refund)
- Make your life generally miserable while you straighten-out the resulting mess
Follow the recommendations you'll find on our "Identity Theft Resources" page to help avoid being a victim.
If you become a victim, follow the steps outlined on our "Help - MY ID Has Been Stolen" page to begin recovering from the assault.